Military veterans are protected by a variety of laws that are administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The most important protections are the following:
- Veterans are entitled to disability compensation for service-connected injuries or diseases.
- Veterans are eligible for health care through the VA.
- Veterans may be eligible for education benefits and other assistance.
- Veterans may be eligible for home loans at favorable rates.
- Veterans may be eligible for burial benefits.